How to Rest in God and Overcome Challenges

If there are two things that I am well acquainted with, it's weakness and fear. I know what it's like to feel weak. And I also know what it's like to look fear in the eyes, and with everything in me, want to run in the opposite direction.

But glory to God, fear and weakness aren’t our inheritance. 

We read over and over again in the Bible that when it comes to fear, there shouldn't be anything that we fear more than God. And this fear isn’t a dreadful anxiousness. It’s a reverent, awe-like fear that is motivated from wanting to please him. Because we know He is our strong tower. He is our protection. He fights for us. He created all things, so having him on our side is a sure win in every situation we face.

“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

God commanded Joshua to be strong and courageous in the face of an enemy that would have made Joshua tremble with weakness and fear if it had not been for God’s powerful reminder of His presence and power. Let’s read on to see how God meets our weakness and fear with His strength and might.

God Makes a Way through What Seems Impossible at First 
I thought my world was falling apart back when I was a new stay at home mom. Actually, though, my life was coming together. God was giving me wisdom, experience, and the opportunity to keep moving forward in my life through faith, even though I didn't understand how I was going to overcome. Well, I'm here and alive to tell you that God was right! During that season, he impressed on my heart that even though I felt weak, I was not. I had him on my side and my weakness only served to display his strength.

Since we are human, we all have areas where we are weak and where we are strong. In the areas where we are strong, we are because He is. And, in the ways that we are weak, God’s “power is made perfect.” (2 Corinthians 12:9 ESV)

Finding God’s Strength in Your Weakest Moments 
Fear is a spirit, but one that God has not given us. Therefore, we can be courageous and live above fear. This doesn't mean that we won't ever feel afraid. We will. This means that when we start to feel fear rise up, we can combat it with the truth of what God has given us. Courage.

Maybe the source of your weakness and fear isn't the same as mine. That's okay, it doesn't make your weakness and fear any less valid to God. God’s Word is the same for my situation, as it is for yours, as it is for the next person. It is real and active and alive. Decide not to live in a place of weakness and fear. Take captive of the victim mentality and choose to know yourself as God knows you. Strong and courageous!

[written by Britnee Bradshaw]
Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This