Marriage Will Cost You (Not Money)

I’m not even talking about the cost of the wedding. That’s nothing in comparison to the emotional costs that come with becoming one. The truth is, you lose a part of yourself within the glory of marriage. You exchange a little bit of who you are for a little bit of who they are. You learn to give and take, and then you learn to let go of the things that don’t really matter.

And in the end, you realize that what you’ve given is far, far less than what you’ve ultimately received. Love is good like that.

At some point, you will be disappointed.
I know, this one was a hard reality. I’m not sure why I didn’t really believe it would happen. I am fully aware of my and my husband’s humanity. But for some reason this truth doesn’t really hit home... until it actually hits home. My husband and I have loved each other deeply, but we’ve also hurt each other deeply. When you allow someone to bury their heart in yours, there’s no doubt that one day you will feel an ache. Whether in the form of an unkind word, a thoughtless action, or a selfish moment, marriage will hurt. But by God’s grace, each wound paves the way for grace, forgiveness, and restoration. Each wound is a reminder of our need to love better and to love deeper.

Marriage gives you a glimpse of so much more.
There’s a reason that God uses the analogy of marriage to describe His love for His church - because no relationship will ever compare to the intimacy that is exchanged within this earthly connection.

Not only is God’s love for us magnified through the lens of a healthy marriage, but He uses this marriage to shape us, refine us, and put us through the fire--making us more and more like Him along the way. Reflecting Jesus is the greatest honor that we can partake in when it comes to marriage, but more so, it’s the one and only thing that will keep our marriage alive.

While it's important to acknowledge that there are many routes to holiness, we have to realize that marriage is definitely one of those routes. I am a different person because of this sacred relationship, and I know that God’s not finished with me yet. I’m so thankful for the blessing of marriage, and look forward to what lies ahead.

[written by Debra Fileta]
Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This