Open Letter To President Mohammadu Buhari

By Benjamin Okike, Department of Computer Science, University of Abuja, Nigeria

Dear Sir,
My name is Benjamin Okike, a teacher in the Department of Computer Science, University of Abuja, Nigeria. I am from Abia State, precisely Arochukwu in Arochukwu Local Government Area of the South East Geo-political zone.

I was in my early years in the
secondary school when your military administration was toppled by your successor. Young as I was then, I remember telling people that singular action of the abortion of your military government was not going to benefit the country because of your War Against Indiscipline (WAI) which may likely be abandoned by your successor.

Not too long after which, that constituent of indiscipline known as corruption ‘was displayed as wares’ in the market place which can be sold and bought in the open without fear of apprehension. This has led to the misfortunes experienced in the country till date.

I am not holding brief for the people from my geo-political zone, but I must express my profound displeasure over your appointments into key positions of your administration without considering anyone from my geo-political zone worthy of appointment into any of those positions.

I must confess that since 2003 that you showed interest in the nation’s democracy, I, as a person have not only voted for you, but had campaigned for you publicly because of your promise for change coupled with your past experience where you had shown no interest in materialism.

Since you took over from your predecessor on 29th May, 2015, I have always defended any singlar action you had taken including previous appointments into key positions, but now, I am no longer comfortable with your recent appointments into key positions. In as much as you may have reason(s) for your action, but not finding anyone from South East geo-political zone, one of the three major tribes in the country as an apointee into any key position in your administration is not good for an elder statesman of your kind.

If you are using election result where it is claimed that only 5% of the votes is from South East Geo-political zone as the basis for appointment, then I would advise that you consider a man of God, Rev. Fr. Ejike Mbaka from the South East Geo-political zone who staked his life for your election. Since you cannot appoint him as a man of God, then consider his people for appointment into key positions in your administration.

Though, I do not have any evidence to substantiate my view about the 5% votes from South East Geo-political zone, it is possible that this zone actually gave you 95% votes, but the political manipulators reversed the result in favour of your predecessor. I remember when I traveled to my home to campaign for you, some of my friends contributed towards your election and I cannot see any justifiable reason why after making token contribution would turn their backs against during the election proper.

Yours Faithfully,
Benjamin Okike

Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This