A Lady rejected this man because he couldn't buy her a Beer, today he owns a Brewery

Success is not final, struggle is a process...what would make the difference eventually is 'discipline'.

Billionaire Dr. Martin Aliker sent his audience laughing after recounting how rejection from a girl back when he was a university student because he could not afford to buy her beer, was the birth of his dream to one day own a brewery - where he could produce as much beer as possible.

Today, he's one of the richest men in Uganda and owns shares in East African Breweries. He was giving a speech during the recent celebrations of Uganda Breweries Limited (UBL) turning 70, when he recounted the interesting story...

It was back in late 1940s when taking beer had just become an in-thing. He approached a beautiful girl in a club, but the lady would only have time for him if he could buy her a bottle of beer.

“I was at Makerere and those days there was only one night club, near Clock Tower. I approached this girl and she actually wanted to dance with me. The condition was that I buy a beer. Back then a beer was only one shilling, but I couldn’t afford it,” the billionaire said as quoted by Matooke Republic.

Speaking during the celebrations held at Sheraton Kampala Hotel, Aliker said that that disappointing experience roused a will in him to work his way up and one day own a brewery.

“She rejected me because I couldn’t afford a beer but now I have a brewery. That night was my inspiration to be part of a brewery business. I vowed that one day I had to be involved in making beer,” the business mogul told the amused crowd.

Dr. Aliker also owns shares in other companies including Nation Media Group, National Insurance Corporation, Uganda Clays and Stanbic Bank, and has sat in over 40 boards of companies.

He eventually got married to a good lady he met in the US when he was a student, and persuaded her to come to Uganda with him.

- Who knows where that lady is now? #life

Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

Comments

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments clean always. Thank you!