An 83-year-old man, Sule Yusuf, says he has been sleeping under the Oshodi Bridge in Lagos State since 1999 after losing contact with his family.
Yusuf, who hails from Igboora, Oyo State, and claimed to have retired from Nigerian Army, told PUNCH that after he retired, he lost contact with his wife and children, but decided to stay put in Lagos.
It was gathered that the octogenarian had been spared during constant raids of the area by policemen after he explained to them that he was a retired soldier and his family members had allegedly deserted him.
Baba Yusuf, who once worked as a security man at the Mosafejo Motor Park, was relieved of his duty a few years ago because of old age.
It was gathered that after he reportedly retired from the army in 1979, had moved to the Makoko, Yaba area of Lagos, until his rent expired and he was asked to vacate his apartment.
It was learnt that Yusuf had been staying in the Mosafejo Motor Park during the day, and had been sleeping under the Oshodi Bridge at night.
When PUNCH spoke with Yusuf, he said he last saw his wife, Beatrice, and his two children – Morili and Jimoh – around 1999 before they relocated to Owerri, Imo State, where his wife hailed from.
Yusuf said he wanted to be reunited with his family and needed some financial help to live a better life.
He said, “I joined the Nigerian Army in 1967. When I left in 1979, my last place of service was at the cantonment in Adekunle Fajuyi, Ibadan, Oyo State. I met my wife when I served in Owerri, Imo State, and we had the two kids.
“She returned with the children to her hometown in Owerri in 1999. I was in Makoko, Yaba, till I packed out when I could not pay the rent. So, I moved to Oshodi. I was collecting my pensions from the army until I lost my ID card in the park.
“I retired from the army as a staff sergeant. I was usually given N12,000 monthly as pension. I used to sell herbs in the motor park area. Selling herbs was my father’s handiwork. So, I returned to it after misplacing my ID card.
“Since I got to Oshodi, I have not had anyone personally taking care of me except God. When I stopped selling herbs, the union executives assisted me by making me a security man in the park.
“But since that 1999, I have been sleeping under the bridge. I have been sleeping there for about 17 years. I need to see my family again. I need to be helped out of this situation.
“When the taskforce policemen raided the Oshodi area, they saw me, and I approached one of their commanders and explained my situation to him. He said his men should leave me alone. I do not have money to rent any house again. I want the government to help me. I do not have any sickness. I am not taking any injection. I only need help,” he added.
The Assistant Secretary of the Mosafejo Motor Park, Hamzat Sanusi, said the octogenarian was allowed to stay in the park because they saw the military ID card on him before he misplaced it.
Sanusi added that it was the union which had been bearing the burden of Yusuf’s survival.
He said, “He used to have a military ID card. We know him very well. But since he lost that card, he had not been given any entitlement... Since he had served the government, we think the government should rise to his plight.”
Yusuf, who hails from Igboora, Oyo State, and claimed to have retired from Nigerian Army, told PUNCH that after he retired, he lost contact with his wife and children, but decided to stay put in Lagos.
It was gathered that the octogenarian had been spared during constant raids of the area by policemen after he explained to them that he was a retired soldier and his family members had allegedly deserted him.
Baba Yusuf, who once worked as a security man at the Mosafejo Motor Park, was relieved of his duty a few years ago because of old age.
It was gathered that after he reportedly retired from the army in 1979, had moved to the Makoko, Yaba area of Lagos, until his rent expired and he was asked to vacate his apartment.
It was learnt that Yusuf had been staying in the Mosafejo Motor Park during the day, and had been sleeping under the Oshodi Bridge at night.
When PUNCH spoke with Yusuf, he said he last saw his wife, Beatrice, and his two children – Morili and Jimoh – around 1999 before they relocated to Owerri, Imo State, where his wife hailed from.
Yusuf said he wanted to be reunited with his family and needed some financial help to live a better life.
He said, “I joined the Nigerian Army in 1967. When I left in 1979, my last place of service was at the cantonment in Adekunle Fajuyi, Ibadan, Oyo State. I met my wife when I served in Owerri, Imo State, and we had the two kids.
“She returned with the children to her hometown in Owerri in 1999. I was in Makoko, Yaba, till I packed out when I could not pay the rent. So, I moved to Oshodi. I was collecting my pensions from the army until I lost my ID card in the park.
“I retired from the army as a staff sergeant. I was usually given N12,000 monthly as pension. I used to sell herbs in the motor park area. Selling herbs was my father’s handiwork. So, I returned to it after misplacing my ID card.
“Since I got to Oshodi, I have not had anyone personally taking care of me except God. When I stopped selling herbs, the union executives assisted me by making me a security man in the park.
“But since that 1999, I have been sleeping under the bridge. I have been sleeping there for about 17 years. I need to see my family again. I need to be helped out of this situation.
“When the taskforce policemen raided the Oshodi area, they saw me, and I approached one of their commanders and explained my situation to him. He said his men should leave me alone. I do not have money to rent any house again. I want the government to help me. I do not have any sickness. I am not taking any injection. I only need help,” he added.
The Assistant Secretary of the Mosafejo Motor Park, Hamzat Sanusi, said the octogenarian was allowed to stay in the park because they saw the military ID card on him before he misplaced it.
Sanusi added that it was the union which had been bearing the burden of Yusuf’s survival.
He said, “He used to have a military ID card. We know him very well. But since he lost that card, he had not been given any entitlement... Since he had served the government, we think the government should rise to his plight.”







Government should help this man...
ReplyDeleteOlu famous second wife
See the life of a man who served his fatherland on the battle fields. I just hope his case can be escalated till somebody high up in the Army get wind of it.
ReplyDeleteI think its time for the government to serve him as well
ReplyDeleteIt is well
ReplyDeletethank it God for that ride up police men that makes u speak up for ppl to hear, and for ur wife I know if that u marry that woman well u and she will not miss contact
ReplyDeleteOh my! Very sad. The appropriate authorities should come to his aid.
ReplyDeletedec.16th@yahoo.com
mm..so touching,may God help u
ReplyDeleteI'm speechless. This old man really served his country diligently. Fed govt needs to wake up without delay to help this retiree and the man that designed our National flag
ReplyDeleteSeriously, I'm pained to hear the story. This retiree deserved better life. He served his country diligently and vibrantly. Fed govt needs to wake up without delay to help this retiree
ReplyDeleteoh my God!! so touching
ReplyDeleteWell I can help, but cry for these old who served wholeheartedly and suffering today.
ReplyDeleteAregbe send ur officers from Osun to come and carry this baba and help him. Sly
ReplyDeletehope government will help him to locate his family because that is d most important thing now in his life. God pls help him.nenyekutes@gmail.com
ReplyDeletePathetic story. The government should please do sth about it
ReplyDeleteThis is very pathetic! But, questions must be asked; wasn't' he saving, while serving in the army? What happened to his gratuity, his retirement benefits; how did he spent it? These questions are necessary because, my old man is a retired 63NA, of the Nigerian Army. So, i know what i am talking about.
ReplyDeleteHe retired in 1979...that's a long time ago
Deleteeiyaa...felt sorry for him...let the government look into his issue and help him out.
ReplyDeleteIf you get money you get many friends, when trouble comes, when “yawa” come they will run away they wouldn’t know you again. Imagine this man is a billionaire all his family wouldn’t have deserted him but reversed is the case. Let the man approach military pension board on how to assist him with his pension arrears since he has lost his ID card. Maybe with this publication his family can trace him & re-united with him.
ReplyDeleteI hope help come the an way
ReplyDeleteLet's nt blame d gov in all, we also need 2 ask ourslf wht effort are we making 2 secure our future, he served 4 35 good yrs isn't it, does it mean he dnt have wife, children, family members, God will help us
ReplyDeletehummmm am feeling from he, only God knw were the children and d wife dey now. God plz come to our aim. Phill
ReplyDeleteFailed nation; no job security!
ReplyDeleteevery thing nah government, invest in ur children & save/insure certain amout every month; that is ur pension
ReplyDeleteEnter your comment...if truly he is from Igboora,the place is not too far to Lagos the masses can arrange for his transportation to connect with his people in Igboora
ReplyDeleteGovernment should come to his aid please.
ReplyDeletePls the government should help him, yes I knw many will ask different questions but it has happen nothing more, I pray the government comes to his aids
ReplyDeleteAid*
ReplyDeleteAre u kidding me? Retired Soldier under bridge?
ReplyDeleteolutoscene1@gmail.com
#Olu,can you see?
please somebody who know his were about should link him with berekete family FM for rescue .
ReplyDeleteNigeria has to do something about helping those who are hopeless
ReplyDeletethe federal government should look into the matter,of all ex-military men because they fight for the country unit
ReplyDeleteThere should be a way of replacing his ID card. His pensions shouldn't stop because of a misplaced ID...#MyOpinion
ReplyDeleteGovernment should render hlp 2 ds man, he has served, suffered n endured 4 long, dey should gv him all his benefits so he could unite wiv his family..inumidun
ReplyDeleteThe government should please help him
ReplyDeleteGod!!!,. that rubbish
ReplyDeletea whole Arny
If its lost ID, why can't he go and swear affidavit on his lost ID, why is he bringing nigerian army into this matter? Did they own 1kobo from 1967-1979? If no, so why didn't he took possession of a land in Imo state the way he took a wife or anywhere in Nigeria that he served. We know that nigerian army are intelligent people far from what this man is trying to present. Rubbish talk.
ReplyDeleteThe Nigerian Army should help this man by replacing his ID card after confirming his claims from their records and pay him the arrears. Then he should start receiving monthly payments as well as get rehabilitated.
ReplyDeleteI just imagined him being my grandfather. It's quite sad... I hope he sees his family again, and I hope he gets the help he needs.
ReplyDeleteHeaven helps those who help themselves. There's no excuse for failure. God help him
ReplyDelete~Olufamous blog queen~
Moved by d story
ReplyDelete